Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 1: First Glimpses

 I began the day at about 6 am––curse you jet lag––but, on the bright side, I was able to get an early start my first day out in the city. I left with my backpack, cell phone and guidebook, prepared to take on one of the seven suggested walks. The weather was beautiful, warm and eventually hot with a light breeze. After going in circles a few times I discovered the street signs and the street I was looking for, Rue de Vaugirard, which also happens to be the longest street in Paris.

Winding my way through this part of Paris, I had to force myself not to stop at every unexpected sight or shop, reminding myself that I have 27 days to go. Walking down the large Boulevard-St. Michel, the street begins to widen and opens up to reveal la Seine river. Taking a few steps to the right Notre Dame Cathedral comes into view. 



Crossing le Petit Pont, I found myself in the square just in front of Notre Dame, Place du Parvis. 

                             
The shadow looms over the shining plaque that marks the center of the city––kilometer zero. From this point I began my walk. 


After exploring Notre Dame and some of the right bank, I crossed the Petit Pont back over to the left bank of the river.

Once on the left bank I was immediately sucked in to the original, seemingly simple Shakespeare and Company. However, once inside I realized what so many travel guide books were raving about. Books everywhere––walls of books, tables of books, hidden staircases lined with books, reading nooks with chairs, beds and, around one corner,  a piano supported by books. A quick tour of this shop turned into an hour long browsing adventure. Three hours into my first day I was hungry and stopped at the riverside café Le Petit Pont for a sandwich. 

         


Around the corner from Shakespeare and Company is the Rue du St. Julien le Pauvre. On the left past the park(picture bottom left) is the church of the same name (picture bottom right).  As you can see, this church is rather plain compared to the facade of Notre Dame pictured above. I walked inside and sat down, the church was completely empty. Despite being the oldest church in Paris, St. Julien le Pauvre was obviously less of a tourist attraction than Notre Dame but, in my opinion, a more intimate and interesting place to visit.  

                                        
Once I was satisfied poking around a few of the back alleys in this area I decided, around 2 pm that it was time to walk back. This turned into an adventure of its' own as I let myself stop in at many of the  places I had passed this morning. I wasn't disappointed! 

Surrounding the Parisian Sénat, the Jardin du Luxembourg was the most beautiful sight of the day. I spent the better part of an hour walking around and sitting on a couple of the many benches scattered throughout. I plan on frequenting this place from now on.  



------

After picking up some groceries and browsing a few more shops, I ended the day back at the apartment with a nap, dinner and some reading.  










1 comment: