Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 2: La Huchette and Cluny

Waking up this morning I was excited to get going. I made it back to kilometer zero in about 25 minutes compared to the 45 it took me yesterday. From there I was headed to the La Huchette, an area that includes some of the oldest streets and buildings in Paris, some dating back to the Middle Ages. But history isn't the only thing found in abundance on this street; a mix of tourists, a myriad of cultures and pick-pockets of every disguise make this a very busy place around noontime.

 

Though much of it may not fall under the "strictly traditional french" category, the food here cannot be passed up. The boulangerie pictured below drew me in the moment I turned onto the Rue de la Huchette, I promised myself I would stop here later. 


At the end of my tour of La Huchette and before venturing over to La Musée National du Moyen Age, also known as Cluny, I stopped back by this shop for a crêpe with nutella and bananas. You can see mine cooking on the round plate as le garçon refills the crêpe batter. Different but delicious, I will say that Daniel Gregorio's crêpes still hold first place in my book :) 


Back to La Huchette. As I made my way down the street my guide booked called attention to this little theater on the right, le Théâtre de la Huchette. It shows three live performances back to back each night, two of which are always the same and one that rotates. The first two on the board are by Ionesco, and part of the assigned reading for my past French classes. I'll be headed back here next week to see all three!


Taking a right onto a somewhat wider street, the church of St. Séverin comes into view, another church that few tourists seem to frequent. Built, torn down and rebuilt over the course of centuries, this church incorporates different architectural styles that are obvious to the untrained eye––but I could use the assistance of one Sarah Germini if she feels like joining me :) My favorite aspect of this church was the stained glass, each window unique in color and design. 


The first three hours of this day flew. After finishing my crêpe I made for my last intentional visit of the day––Cluny. Having taken two courses on Medieval history, I was looking forward to this stop all day. As I approached the museum I noticed advertisements boasting the featured exhibit of May: Medieval Military History. Needless to say (Tina Beigelbeck), I sprinted the rest of the way there.  In addition to the wonders of the usual collection, a whole downstairs basement...? or dungeon...? was dedicated to displays of medieval weaponry and armor. So cool....

         



Two hours later, my feet protesting each new step, I was ready to sit down. However, in my stubbornness to see as much of the city as possible I refused to take the metro or bus and forged a new path back to the apartment. And thankfully so! On my return journey I came across La Sorbonne, the standard of the French university system and a beautiful place to sit––thank God––and take in the late afternoon sites. 


---

Arriving at the apartment completely exhausted, I collapsed onto the pull out couch and did not regain consciousness again until dinner. 

1 comment:

  1. I taught daniel everything he knows about crepe making! :)

    ReplyDelete